Claire Breukel is the Chief Curator of MARTE Contemporary at MARTE Museum in San Salvador, El Salvador. She has also worked on creative projects for (RED) and is the creative advisor for Miami Downtown Development Authority and curator for the Unscripted public art commission for Bal Harbour Village.
A graduate from the University of Cape Town, Claire co-curated the 2002 Cape Town Month of Photography biennale and the Brett Kebble Art Awards in 2003 and 2004. Introduced to Miami through the Rubell Family Collection, she took the position of Executive Director at Locust Projects, a renowned alternative non-profit. She accepted the role of Coordinator of PUMAVision and Curator of PUMA.Creative for PUMA and became nomadic traveling to strategize art partnerships with focus on Africa and the Caribbean. Projects included the Arts in Marrakech festival, 8th Bamako Encounters biennale, Channel 4 BRITDOC Foundation, Yves Behar at the Design Museum, London, Isaac Julien at the Bass Museum, Miami as well as art social networking sites creativeafricanetwork.com and creativecaribbeannetwork.com.
Breukel has written for Eikon, ArtPulse, Wynwood magazine, Arte Aldia, Hyperallergic.com and is guest editor Whitewall magazines Whitewaller edition. She has curated exhibitions in Cape Town, New York, Miami, Vienna, Prague and San Salvador.
- (RED), Creative projects, www.joinred.com, June 2012- current
- Bal Harbour Village, Unscripted public art program, Curator, April 2012-current
- Miami Downtown Development Authority, Creative consultant “Art Days” art and culture program, Miami Downtown district, Miami, Florida, 2011-current
- Viacom/ MTV Latin America; Comedy Central exhibition, ZonaMACO, Curator, April, 2012
- SPI Marketing Absolut Outrageous artist commission, Curator, March 2012
- Galerie Hilger and BROTkunsthalle; Curator, Special Projects; Vienna, Austria and Miami/ New York, USA, Current
- PUMA: PUMA.Creative, PUMA’s Corporate Social Responsibility program: Curator and Coordinator consultant; 2009-2011; Global
- Miami Beach Art in Public Places, Vice Chair, Miami, Florida, 2008/2009
- Curatorial panel featuring Miami’s curators organized by Jose Diaz, Bass Museum of Art, Miami
- Nominator for Summer Academy, Bern, Swizterland
- Miami Dade Art in Public Places South Florida Consortium panelist
- Creative Capital, panel presentation “Business and Art”, New York
- Emerge Art Fair, Washington DC, 2011
- Fellow, Sommerakademie im Zentrum Paul Klee with Guest Curator Pipilotti Rist; Juicy Contaminated Circle – From Art to Life and Back; Claire Breukel (South Africa), Pedro De Llano (Spain) , Florencia Malbran (Argentina/Italy), Francisco Sierra (Switzerland) , Mykola Ridnyi (Ukraine), Anna Witt (Germany) , Dineo Seshee Bopape (South Africa), Thi nhu Quynh Dong (Switzerland), Mika Rottenberg (Israel), Samah Hijawi (Jordan) , Shana Moulton (USA) and Peterson Kamwathi Waweru (Kenya)
- LegalArt curator-in-residence, Miami
- Invited Curator, Banff Curatorial Residency, Banff, Canada: Self-Directed Residency
- A conversation with Magnus Sigurdarson for his exhibition Absenteeism at Dimensions Variable: Aug 3
- Federation of Caribbean Association of Architects Conference, Ponce, Puerto Rico
- 2010 Good Pitch at Tribeca, New York, a Channel 4 BRITDOC Foundation initiative
- The University of Wynwood Presents Claire Breukel on “The Future Public Art in Miami: A Lecture with Images”
- The Exhibition Code: Unlocking the Mystery Behind Exhibition Selections; Miami Art Museum; Panelists: Peter Boswell, Senior Curator, Miami Art Museum; Claire Breukel, Executive Director Locust Projects; Denise Delgado, Curator, Art Services and Exhibitions, Miami-Dade Public Library System; Brandi Reddick, Art Education and Community Outreach Coordinator, Miami-Dade County Cultural Affairs; Stephen Stuempfle, Chief Curator, Historical Museum of Southern Florida