Claire Breukel currently works between Miami and San Salvador as Director and Chief Curator of Y.ES, Contemporary Art El Salvador and Curator of the Unscripted art program for the city of Bal Harbour.
In 2002, Claire co-curated the Cape Town Month of Photography biennale and in 2003 and 2004 the Brett Kebble Art Awards, South Africa. She was then introduced to Miami through the Rubell Family Collection where she took the position of Executive Director at Locust Projects, a renowned alternative non-profit. Following this she became nomadic in her role as Curator of PUMA.Creative for Sportslifestyle brand PUMA, where she focused on arts sponsorships and partnerships within Africa and the Caribbean.
Claire has curated exhibitions in Cape Town, Miami, New York, Prague, Vienna and San Salvador. She has written for Whitewall, Arte Aldia, Eikon, ArtPulse, Wynwood magazine, Function and Modernity online and Hyperallergic.com, and recently co-edited her first publication, Y.ES Collect Contemporary El Salvador. She is interested in contemporary art that falls outside of conventional modes of exhibition, and her work investigates the rupture of social norms and the invention of new paradigms for social interaction.
- (RED), Creative projects, www.joinred.com, June 2012- current
- Bal Harbour Village, Unscripted public art program, Curator, April 2012-current
- Miami Downtown Development Authority, Creative consultant “Art Days” art and culture program, Miami Downtown district, Miami, Florida, 2011-current
- Viacom/ MTV Latin America; Comedy Central exhibition, ZonaMACO, Curator, April, 2012
- SPI Marketing Absolut Outrageous artist commission, Curator, March 2012
- Galerie Hilger and BROTkunsthalle; Curator, Special Projects; Vienna, Austria and Miami/ New York, USA, Current
- PUMA: PUMA.Creative, PUMA’s Corporate Social Responsibility program: Curator and Coordinator consultant; 2009-2011; Global
- Miami Beach Art in Public Places, Vice Chair, Miami, Florida, 2008/2009