“10,” MARTE Contemporary’s 10 year anniversary exhibition features 20 artists, and opens on Tuesday curated by myself and Lucas Arevalo. It has been an incredible process to learn about the artwork and work with the artists in the show.
I’m in Prague for the month of June doing a residency at the MEETFactory. My host, Lucie Drdova of Drdova gallery, has been the perfect guide introducing me to artists, curators, museum staff, collectors and non-profits in Prague and Brno–the second largest city in the Czech republic.
Im documenting these meetings through series of short blogs. Czech them out by CLICKING HERE.
The Unscripted ArtChat started off with Hank photographing the audience photographing him:
And went on to presentation of Hank’s work and a recount of the conversation that led up to the Rubell Family Collection’s very successful “30 Americans” exhibition that originated in 2009 and is currently still traveling. The conversation was simultaneously playful (Don and Mera cutting each other off and sweetly scolding one another) and critical (Hank shared results of his research interviewing thousands of black men about their identity, likes and dislikes essentially dispelling the myth that there are overarching and defining tendencies to this “category”).
After dinner talk was not light either as dinner guests pitted statics to Hank who argued for the accuracy of his survey approach. One could not ask for better panelists or dinner guests.
TO READ THE FULL ARTICLE CLICK HERE
Unscripted Bal Harbour, the program I curate for Bal Harbour Village hosted an incredible talk with artist Mark Dion and PAMM curator Rene Morales. Mark is truly brilliant and not only explained his practice, specifically his engagement with Fieldwork, but also led the audience through a dialogue of encounters that informed his social practice. Im a huge fan!
- A Fuego, Rodrigo Orrantia Gómez, Colombia
- An Informal Settlement, Claire Breukel, USA
- Camping Park, Rodrigo Vilhena, Portugal
- Collapsed City, Nacho Ruiz, Spain
- Continuity – Syrian City Paintings, Róza El-Hassan, Syria
- Copyleft, Liping Xiang, China
- Directly Mild, Maria Loizidou, Cyprus
- Eating Habits, Alice Lichtenstein, Austria
- Epigenetic Space, John-Paul Pryor and Alessandra Cianchetta, UK
- Erase, Federico Pepe, Italy
- Extinct in the Wild, Michael Wang, USA
- metaPhorest, Habu Kazuhito and Yuki Yoshioka, Japan
- Mutterzunge, Misal Adnan Yıldız, Turkey
- Outlives, José Arispe, Bolivia
- Picasso in my casa, Svenja Wichmann and Anna Bründl, Germany
- Ready Meals, Cedar Lewisohn and Mike Knowlden, UK
- S.F.C. – The Short Future City, A12, Italy
- The Border, Evelyn Simons, Belgium
- The Power of Words Exhibition, Omneya Kilany and Nabil Al Nashar, Qatar
- The Reader Digested, Matthew Claudel, Carlo Ratti and Gianluigi Ricuperati, USA